For over a millennium, from the day it was founded by Saint Remacle to the French Revolution, the Abbey Principality of Stavelot-Malmédy exerted its economic, political, religious and artistic influence upon an extensive territory stretching far beyond the borders of Belgium, from the Loire to the Germanic Empire.
The Museum of the Principality of Stavelot-Malmédy proposes an itinerary which is modern, intelligent and entertaining at one and the same time through the astonishing history of a State of the Old Regime (before 1789). Iconographies and music of a bygone age, artefacts and works of art are skilfully orchestrated using the most recent multimedia technologies. After a visit to the Museum, the C11th abbey church, adjoining it and brought to light by the archaeologists, takes on a whole new meaning.
NEW: Wibald Area, Abbot of the Empire, the golden age of Stavelot Abbey in the 12th century
Recently brought to light and made understandable to the layman, the remains of the C11th abbey church are indicated on the list of the 159 properties of the outstanding heritage of Wallonia.
The key building period corresponds to the reign of the abbot Poppon. The plan of that period essentially continued to serve its dual purpose as a monastic church and a church of pilgrimage until the end of C18th. Preceded by an imposing tower restored in 1534, but of which only the ground floor, measuring 15 m high, remains, the nave (partly excavated) leads to the monks’ chancel and to the chancel reconstructed through archaeological research.
After having visited the Museum of the Principality and having virtually entered the abbey church using the latest 3-D technologies, the visitor can really stroll from the transept to the chancel, from the nave to the crypt to feel the imposing presence of the walls, which disappeared after the French Revolution.
Translation in FR, NL, DE, EN